South Africa ranks 99th out of 165 countries and territories included in the Economic Freedom of the World: 2022 Annual Report, released by the FMF in conjunction with Canada’s Fraser Institute. Last year, South Africa ranked 93rd and has therefore deteriorated further in the rankings. The country’s best ranking of 47th was achieved in 2000.
FMF hosted a virtual media briefing last week with a panel of speakers:
- Neil Emerick – overview of EFW index
- Phumlani Majozi – size of government
- Rex van Schalkwyk – legal system & property rights
- Brian Kantor – access to sound money
- John Dludlu – regulation of credit, labour, and business
Our media release can be read HERE; the briefing video can be viewed HERE; for media coverage, click HERE.